Tuesday, May 27, 2008

End of May update

Well,


I am really getting into the lifting and enjoying it.


I have started to take some supplements before and after my workouts. here is what I have used and the results so far:


  • Pre-Workout - GNC version of L-Arginine 1000mg. I take 3 capsules as soon as I get up at 4:45am. I then have a half of a PowerBar Energize on the way to the gym. I also try to drink 500ml water before I get to the gym. I am on the stationary bike by 5:15-5:20am. the L-Arginine is a pre-coursor for Nitric Oxide. This helps promote blood flow and volume so that later in my workouts I do not feel as fatigued. The PowerBar helps me with just a little boost of carbs first thing so I am not hitting the wall after 45min of working out. The straight L-Arginine seems to be the cheapest way to get Nitric Oxide. There are many types of pre=workout nitric out there, but most contain caffeine, which I am trying to limit.

  • Post-Workout - Pro-Nos by MRI. I drive home 10min and immediately make my protein shake with the Pro-Nos powder. I am very conscience of the fact that this needs to be consumed within 30min for optimum effect. I have been very pleased with the taste of the Pro-Nos so far. I have only been on it for a two weeks so I cannot tell if it is making any difference physically. I know that it does not give me as much gas as the other proteins I have used.
Tracking-I have also begun logging my workouts. This helps me in many ways. First I can keep track of what weight's are being used for which exercises. It is much easier to increase the weight when I am ready if I don't waste the first set hunting for the right weight to use. Second, I can use the total weight of my workout to gauge how hard I have worked out. I simply do the math and come up with a total lifted amount and compare that to previous days to judge how hard I am pushing myself.

Cycling- I am working my way up on biking. I got new tires for my mountain bike. They are kind of like a hybrid tire, smooth in the middle, but they still have some tread on the edges. They have much less rolling resistance. I was able to do 14.76 miles in 62min. I am going for 20 miles in one ride this weekend I still want to work up to a 50 and then a 100mile ride! I can really tell the difference in my bike tires and the workouts, I have improved my avg speed, distance and my recovery's are much easier when I bike.

No comments: